Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fearlessly Phobic Recipes -- Yummy Delicious Chili Tacos

It's time for another installment of Fearlessly Phobic Cooking! Today, I bring you the yummy deliciousness of Chili Tacos.

First, you need some chili. This particular recipe of mine is called "Never the Same Way Twice Chili" because, well, my chili never comes out the same way twice... even when I use identical ingredients. I'm good like that.

For the tacos:

Yellow rice
Sour Cream
Soft tortilla shells

Never the Same Way Twice Chili Recipe:

Gather your ingredients -- ground meat (buffalo, turkey, beef) or tofu crumbles. In this version, I used beef (though buffalo is WAY less fatty, but still maintains that beef-flavor goodness).
Peppers -- green, red, chili, jalapenos... whatever floats your boat. These just happen to be what I have in my garden.
Onions -- the more the better, in my opinion
Garlic -- have I mentioned how much I love garlic
Beans, beans, the magical fruit -- red, black, light red kidney beans
Tomatoes -- canned or fresh
Tomato Paste -- trust me, you'll need this.
Spices -- you can use the pre-packaged chili mix, or any combination of paprika, cilantro, chili powder, etc.

And you'll need a big ole kitchen knife
Grab a big ole, non-reactive soup pot. My ex-mother-in-law gave me mine, and I have been forever grateful for it, since. This is also why, when The Ex and I split, I insisted that I got to keep his mother.

Combine all of your canned ingredients into the pot, over VERY low heat. You don't want to overcook the beans. If you're using fresh tomatoes, toss those in now, too:

Forgive the yellow tinge to the pictures. That's what you get for being all hipstamatic with your food photos.


 Commence with the dicing of your veggies:

Watch out for the seeds. Those oils will getcha every time!


As you're chopping the veggies, brown the meat according to package instructions. I don't know why they call it "browning," when cooking meat usually turns it gray:

My stove has not gotten any less gross. Sorry about that.

Turn up the heat under your pot of beans to, say, about medium low. Add your diced veggies to the mix and stir the whole mess:

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble....
Let the beans and veggies simmer while you get your yellow rice ready. Why yellow rice? Because you're going to use it in the tacos:

After I added the yellow rice. No judgment.
Finish browning the meat and add it to your chili. Let it simmer for however long it floats your boat, or until the rice is ready. Remember, the longer you let the chili simmer the hotter (as in spice factor, not temperature) it will be.

If you're like me, and like a more watery chili, add about a can full of water here. Add more as it simmers off. If you're not like me, and like a thicker more stew-like chili, don't add the water. But make sure you stir that chili often, otherwise it'll stick to the bottom of the pot. This is why  you want a non-reactive pot... less stickage.


Once the rice is finished, and the chili has cooked to your particular hot-preference, grab yourself some sour cream and tortilla shells and assemble your taco:

Yellow rice layer
Chili layer
Sour Cream layer

You can't see it,  but there is a tortilla shell under that hot mess.


Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment