Thursday, June 16, 2011

There's no place like home

While I spent the vast majority of my childhood in the bosom of my maternal family, I've always had a special connection with my dad's side of the family.

My parents split up before I was old enough to even sit up on my own, but the sides of the family have always remained friendly. In fact, I grew up within a half hour of the vast majority of my family. Cousins were like siblings and aunts and uncles were extra moms and dads. But my grandmothers were the real deal. They were very hands-on in raising me. I'm very, very close with them to this day, and they remain my two favorite people to hang out with in the world.

A few years ago, my nana sold her condo (the first home I remember) to downsize to something more in line with her needs. Her new place still has that "Nana" vibe to it, but it isn't the condo. I miss that place.

My gram, however, has lived in the same house for all of my life and then some. It's the second home that I remember and the house has all the smells and sights I associate with home.

No comments:

Post a Comment