Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Fearlessly Phobic Cooking -- Corn Chowder!

Better late than never, right? I promised this blog months ago -- and I do my best to never break a promise (I make no promises about keeping promise-ishes though).

This is my super yummy corn chowder -- which has been adapted a great deal from a recipe I found in "A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook"; enough so that I feel I can claim it as my own now. It's just hearty enough to be perfect on fall days, but light enough for spring or early summer. Truth be told, it's almost a veggie chowder... but I digress.

What you'll need:

A stick of butter
Celery
Carrots
Potatoes -- in this version, I used some weird fingerling-red potato hybrid. It was pretty tasty and gave the soup a nice color.
One medium onion
Lots and lots and LOTS of garlic (have I mentioned how much I love garlic)
2 cans of creamed corn
1/2 bag of frozen corn
black pepper
sea salt
milk

A non-reactive soup pot

Melt the stick of butter over medium heat.

Oh, that's GOOOOOD!

While the butter is getting nice and buttery, mince the onion and toss it into the pot. Throw in some garlic -- just for the heavenly aroma.

Not pictured -- garlic. Because I was too busy huffing it.


While all that's sauteing in the butter, dice your celery...

Blurry celery! It's art!

Potatoes...

Bite sized potato goodness!


And carrots. 

The carrots tend to cook slower than the potatoes and celery, so you want to slice these pretty thin.


Toss those in the pot, too. Give it a good stir and cover the whole mess up. Let it cook 'til all the vegetables are fork tender -- about ten to twelve minutes -- stirring occasionally to prevent the veggies from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Oooh! Pretty colors!


Now go ahead and toss in about a half bag of frozen corn and both cans of creamed corn. Add some more garlic. And now add a little more.

Pretend that's garlic -- that's how much you want to toss in there. OK, that's how much you want to toss in there if you're ME. But I'm garlic crazy.


Give the whole mess a good stir. Stir it a little bit more while you're sticking your face right over that delicious garlicky steam. Once you've gotten your fix, add about two cans worth of milk to the pot:

It's blurry, but you get the point.


Add some salt and pepper -- to taste -- and let that hang out on low heat for about fifteen minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

Oh, yeah! That's GOOD!


Serve it up to your family (or yourself. I won't judge... it's THAT good) with some crusty bread:

Bon Apetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment